
The (my left, your right) one came out first. This tooth had suffered a fatal injury about 2 years ago while playing superheroes with Daddy. It went something like this - "Hey Dad, watch this move" and then a flying leap into the air, a spin of sorts, and a hard landing on Daddy's knee with his mouth. I wasn't home at the time, so the next morning when he woke up with a huge swollen upper lip I thought he had been stung or bit or was having an allergic reaction to something - how I wish I had that picture to show you! Well, after the swelling diminished and the bruising faded, the tooth began to turn grey and died. We went to Kindergarten with that tooth and then to first grade, but no more! We are entering 2nd grade without that tooth - finally.
A tooth with that kind of story refused to simply be pulled. There is no story in the simple pulling of a tooth. Johnathan refused to let anyone touch it and we honored his wishes. I suggested many ways to get rid of it - pulling it, eating something chewy, perhaps the age-old standby of a string and a door. He didn't like any of these.
We were at my parents playing with a hover disc on a steep slope. The boys were taking turns - one throwing it and the other running down the hill to catch it. Johnathan was running down the hill with his eyes locked on the hover disc in the air, when he gathered too much momentum and literally landed on his face with his feet flying over the back of his head. We thought he was going to go all the way over but he managed to stop himself. He then jumped up and said "I'm okay" with blood all over his head and face and hands. As we were trying to figure out where all of the blood came from, I asked him if he lost his tooth. He told me his nose was bleeding, but there wasn't any blood on his nose. Finally, he realized he had lost his tooth. He was so proud and later said to me, "You didn't think of that as a way to lose my tooth!" Silly mama. The tooth was never found.
The second tooth was so loose that he could spin it around backwards in his mouth. Still, no pulling allowed. He was having trouble eating with this one and was really frustrated with it. He was dramatically reminding me on his way to the bathroom to get a towel that he would NOT be pulling his tooth, when he stopped and then calmly said, "It's gone." How did that happen? He wiped it off with a towel. How loose is a tooth when you can simply wipe it away?!
Regardless of how they left us, they are gone. He informed me today that one of his bottom teeth is loose. I'm so glad...
No comments:
Post a Comment